With the advent and refinement of injectable rejuvenating products, an array of advanced skin-enhancing techniques have become widely available–and popular. But what are the differences between the different products? If you have been considering an injectable cosmetic treatment, but are confused by the menu of choices here are some basic facts about what is available on the market today.
According to American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the two leading cosmetic treatments in the United States are fillers and relaxants. While they both are minimally-invasive treatments–administered with a fine needle–they work in distinct ways. Board-certified Dr. Alexis Furze offers both types of non-surgical options at his Newport Beach, Orange County office.
Filler Treatments with Dr. Furze, Newport Beach California
Also known as soft tissue fillers or dermal fillers, fillers come in a variety of formulas and contain different active agents. Regardless of the active agent, all fillers are gels designed to plump the skin, address volume loss, and smoothly fill in lines and creases. Dr. Furze offers different lip- and skin-enhancing filler treatments, enabling him to effectively address different areas of the face.
● Juvederm XC contains hyaluronic acid (HA), a hydrating substance that the body naturally produces. Dr. Furze uses Juvederm XC to smooth the deep creases that run from the nose the corners of the mouth (also known as nasolabial folds). Juvederm XC results can last up to a year.
● Juvederm Voluma XC, another hyaluronic-based filler, is the only dermal filler that has been approved by the FDA to specifically address age-related volume loss in the cheeks. Juvederm Voluma XC treatment is painless and results are instant, with patients reporting a visible lift immediately after the injection. When optimized, results can last up to 2 years.
● Restylane is excellent skin booster, ideal for moderate to severe wrinkles and creases. Similar to Juvederm XC, HA-based Restylane can for reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds–seamlessly giving the mouth area a natural-looking finish.
● Radiesse is temporary synthetic dermal filler that prompts the skin to synthesize new collagen, the substance that gives skin its elasticity. Once collagen production has a jump start, patients will see long-term improvement in the quality of the skin. Dr. Furze uses Radiesse to lift, contour and firm depleted areas of the face.
Relaxant Treatments with Dr. Furze, Orange County, CA
Unlike fillers, relaxants are not a plumping product. Instead, relaxants temporarily inhibit the facial movements that contribute to the creation of expression lines. Dr. Furze uses the relaxant Botox–the number one cosmetic treatment in the United States today–to smooth out fine lines.
● Botox contains a substance called botulinum toxin type A, which temporarily paralyzes the underlying facial muscles. Excellent for crow’s feet, Dr. Furze also uses Botox to erase forehead (glabellar) lines. Touch up treatments are typically needed every 4-6 months.
Minimally-invasive injectable treatments can help reduce signs of aging in a subtle, yet dramatic way. Depending on the overall condition of your skin, Dr. Furze may recommend a combination of filler and relaxant treatments to maximize results.