Congratulations, you have made the decision to undergo facial plastic surgery! Now what? If you are like most people, you probably have a long list of questions: How should I prepare for the procedure? What will the downtime be like? When will I see results? Although different procedures will have unique answers, there is some basic good advice that can be applied generally.
Orange County-based board-certified Dr. Alexis D. Furzeexplains that certain habits can influence how your body will respond to surgery and, ultimately, the outcome. To help ensure the best chance of success, it is best to avoid these pre-surgery mistakes:
- Smoking is detrimental to your overall health, but the habit can be especially harmful prior to surgery. Smoking has a negative impact on the body’s ability to heal. To give yourself the greatest chance of a complication-free recovery, Dr. Furze recommends being smoke-free at least 8 weeks before your scheduled surgery. Refraining from cigarettes and tobacco after surgery will also be important.
- Drinking alcohol can also put the body at a disadvantage. Alcohol dehydrates the system, making the skin and facial tissues more fragile. Give your body the best possible chance to bounce back quickly and heal with minimal scarring by refraining from alcohol.
- Excessive salt consumption can inhibit the body’s healing process. Processed foods rob the body of precious nutrients. Instead of reaching for that pre-packaged snack, try taming those craving with fruits and vegetables.
- Not revealing your complete medical history to the surgeon can put you at risk. Be sure to thoroughly review any allergies, illnesses or previous surgeries with Dr. Furze before you finalize your appointment for surgery.
In addition to fortifying your health, there are some additional details to keep in mind on the day of your surgery:
- Do not wear makeup or contact lenses to the appointment
- Arrange for somebody to pick you up after your procedure
- Follow any pre-procedure directions Dr. Furze has given you
Facial plastic surgery can enhance your appearance and boost your confidence. Making some simple lifestyle adjustments will help reduce risks and make the experience more positive. If you would like to know more about how to prepare for your cosmetic surgery, contact Dr. Furze’s Newport Beach office and schedule a private consultation with him.